Thursday, December 31, 2015

Making Seamless Textures

This is how DataDink converts an image into a seamlessly repeating texture. The image I will be using was found somewhere on the internet and will, by the end of this instructional, become the background image I use for my new blog.

The Problem:

Here I have an image found randomly, somewhere on the internet.


But when tiled it has obvious seams


The Dink way to solve this problem is to take the center of the tile


And use it to create a blended seam around the edges of the tile



Cross-fading the center of the image to the outer edges will result in a nice, smooth seam like so:


I've even made a plugin for PaintDotNet users that will automate this process. You can find it here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/106712-blend-seams-for-smoothing-out-pesky-seams-on-textures/


- Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment